Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Hive #2 December Block

Stephanie emailed me last week and asked if I wouldn't mind posting my December block early.  We have all been sick and now on the mend :)  So here is my questionaire first and then my block to follow.
Name, ect. :
I'm Jackie and I live in Oregon with my "other half" and 2 boys ages 8 and 11.
Hardest quilt ever made:
I haven't come across anything yet.  I don't usually challenge myself though.  I like to keep things semi-simple.  Maybe the hardest thing is just finishing the quilts.  I have a pile of tops waiting to be basted :)
Favorite dessert:
Anything!!  I like it all!! Except nuts.  Especially walnuts--gross.
Last time I really laughed hard:
Well, we always laugh. The kids have a good sense of humor and are always saying/doing something funny.  Latley, I've been in the humor catagory on Pintrest.  If you are having a bad day--go there!!  It will definatly make you laugh :)
My job:
I am a stay-at-home mom for right now taking care of everyone which also includes our dogs, a cat, 4 horses and the boys' newest addition--a ferret. Inbetween all of that I find time to sew and maybe even blog about it once in awhile.  www.nwpatchwork.blogspot.com
When did I learn to sew/ 1st thing I made:
I started when I was in grade school.  I taught myself on my mom's machine making Barbie doll clothes.  I remember the 1st outfit was a tube top and matching skirt :) Then some sewing in 4H and then Home Ec in Junior High and High School.
Life philosophy:
Treat others the way you would like to be treated and if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. 
So that is me in a nutshell.  Now onto my block.


Akansas Crossroads
For one, 12.5" block you will need:
12 assorted 3.5" printed squares
2  6.5" white squares  (Please use Kona white)


Choose 8 of the 3.5" squares and make 2 four-patch units like these:
            
                                     

Then take the remaining 3.5" squares and mark a diagonal line on the back.  



Sew these to the white 6.5" squres in opposite corners , trim and press like this:

(upper left and bottom right corners)



Sew these units together like this:



And there is one 12.5" Arkansas Crossroads block.  Please make 2 if possible and the scrappier the better.  As in no duplicates.  Kona white for the solid.  Here are the 2 blocks that I made:



Thanks so much for making these for me!! Let me know if you have any questions.  Happy sewing :)












5 comments:

Litamora's Quilt & Design said...

LOVE your block!

mammafairy said...

Very pleased to have this one early. It is very pretty, and it will be good to have the decks cleared for Christmas!
Thank you.

LYNN said...

This is going to be great use for scraps! Thank you.

Nataki said...

I did this one yesterday after getting my sewing room almost back together from the move... but no matter what I did my block turn out to be 12" block not 12.5" what are your seem allowance... my p foot does 1/4" seems

NW Patchwork said...

Hmmm... I don't know Nataki. I got the 12.5" with 1/4" seam allowance. Have you measured your p foot and seam? My old Viking had a 1/4" foot but was actually bigger. After my blocks kept coming out wrong, I measured and found that the foot was not a true 1/4". I had to move my needle position. When I bought my new Bernina, that's the first thing I checked :) Try it and let me know.