Thursday, August 1, 2013

August Hive 1 Block

1.    Name?    Tiffany

2.    Where do you live?    Green Bay, WI, USA

3.      Family status (married, single, kids, grand kids)?    Married - 2 kids

4.     Hardest quilt thing you have ever made?    Would you make it again?  My asian fan quilt - a ton of applique, and I was just starting quilting so it was a challenge for me.  I'd make it again, but in a smaller size.  Mine is oversized king!!!

 
5.  Favorite dessert food?    Anything chocolate ;)

6.   Last time you laughed REALLY hard (and what was so funny)? I laugh all the time, so this question is a hard one.  I have kids that do silly things, so I'm always giggling.


7.  What is your day job? I'm a Stay at Home Mom.

8.   When did you learn to sew? Who taught you? I used to sew some with my mom, but didn't really start to sew seriously and quilt until my sister in law taught me and got me hooked.

9.   Do you remember the first thing you ever sewed?   A pink and black blanket.

10.    Life philosophy?    Do unto others as you would have them do to you.


Now for the fun part! The block!

This month I decided to go with the x plus block that was going around on flickr and instragram a while back.  I really love it.  I made 2, one scrappy and one not scrappy, and will share how to make each.
First, the tutorial is great, but is for a smaller block - so please follow my measurements, for a 12.5 unfinished block, and then go to the tutorial for directions in piecing it.

Fabric 1 - center cross - please use solid black fabric 
2 2.5" squares, 1 2.5" by 6.5" rectangle
Fabric 2 - center edges - any shades of aqua, lime green, turquoise, teal
4 2.5" by 3.5" rectangles
Fabric 3 - triangle bits - low volume colors, white, cream, grey, etc
8 3.5" squares
Fabrics 4, 5, 6,7 - branches of the x - brights
4 5.5" squares

Fabrics 4-7 are where you can get creative and scrappy, or just use the same fabric for all 4 squares, it's your choice!  Really, this block could be completely scrappy, if you are feeling it - I will love it either way.  Also, if you would love to make more than one, I'll take it ;)  hehe.


Less scrappy block

My more scrappy block
If you hit any snags or have any questions feel free to email me.  pnksweethrt at gmail dot com.  

1 comment: