Friday, September 4, 2015

Hive 7 September block for Jane

Hi! This is Carla (aka Granny Maud’s Girl).

Jane asked for wonky churn dash blocks in bright pinks, reds and oranges. I had a few possible combinations and could not choose, so I made all three. One is in the correct combination of pink centre, red sides and orange corners; the others are variations.




It is a really easy block, but I still managed to stuff up the side pieces the first go and had to unpick – I had sewn them on too far in!

Jane asked us what colours and prints we would like to add to our stash. If I am perfectly honest, I would have to say that I should not add anything else to my stash! I really have enough fabric to keep me going for a while. I had a recent panic thinking I was short of blue, but I soon realised that I had just hidden it all from myself in various project bags. If I could choose anything to add to my stash, it would be Liberty and linen. You can never have too much of either for making small bits and pieces, and I love floral prints, which Liberty does so well.

I also gatecrashed Hive 9 and made this pineapple block for Grace in New Zealand.

I disagreed with the tutorial’s pressing instructions (on this type of block, flat sits flatter than open) and its measurements (you cannot add even 1-inch finished strips to a 3¼-inch square and finish on a ½-inch measurement), but I enjoyed making my first pineapple block and would make more this way.

Carla

2 comments:

Jane Holbrook said...

Carla!!! I love these churn dash blocks! What fun! And your pineapple block turned out nicely. I think I'll gate crash.

Tiff Blakey said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who realized this will be 16 3/4". It was driving me nuts. I thought I was screwing it up some how.