Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Hive 2 - August Tutorial

Hello All
I'm Monica and I live in Elkridge, MD, about 30 minutes outside of Washington, DC.  My mom was a seamstress so I've been sewing or doing some form of needle craft (cross stitch, crocheting, tatting, knitting....) all my life.   I made my first quilt when my sister and I hand stitched scraps of my mother's fabric into a quilt.  No backing.  My brothers took it and played twisters with it.   The next quilt I made was in 1994 for a friends wedding, I still didn't know what I was doing but the quilt has lasted longer then the marriage or my friend who passed earlier this year.  The family was kind enough to return the quilt to me. In 2015 when my youngest child graduated HS and went away to college I decided to pick up quilting as a hobby again.  You can check out my blog ICanQuilt2 to see some of the things that I have been working on.

So here I am and I'm so excited to be Queen Bee for the month of August.  I've never participated in a bee before this year.  I've joined three bees this year because I found that I was making the same blocks over and over again.  I wanted to add some versatility and build my piecing skills and I thought this would be a good way of doing it.

Now on to my block.  For this month's Bee I'm choosing the Alpine Block (http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/20…/…/the-bee-hive-alpine/).   



CUTTING
Please take note I've modified the cutting instructions a little.  Instead of one color for the center B there is Color B1 for the triangles and Color B2 for the square

Print A (Teal)
2 – 4.5″ x 8.5″
2 – 2.5″ x 4.5″
Print B1 (Yellow)
2 – 2.5″ x 4.5″
Print B2 (Red)1 – 4.5″ x 4.5″
Background (white)5 – 4.5″ x 4.5″
2 – 2.5″ x 4.5″
12 – 2.5″ x 2.5″ 

I love fabrics that look like linen, that have thin lines or that read as solid if you have some in your stash.

Color A: Teal

Color B1:  Yellow

Color B2: Red

Otherwise anything type of modern fabric will work. If you like you can fussy cut the center block (B2 in the picture) like this one.


I'm planning to add signature blocks to the back of my finish quilt, so if you could send a 5x5 swatch of one or more of the fabrics that you used to make the block I would greatly appreciate.   If you like you can sign a piece of white material, but you don't have to. I usually type names and address and print them out onto white fabric. Then I'll make the blocks using the color material you send.



As I said I joined three bees this year and I was the Queen Bee for June in two of them.    Here are the blocks that I have received already.



Thanks, can't wait to see what comes my way.

Monica

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Monica. This is a great block. Do you prefer solid white or white on white? ~Cheryl

Monica said...

Hi Cheryl. either will work. I think most of the ones I received are solid white. Only two or three are white on white.